Paula

Do you feel that a tour guide should share her tips 50/50 with her motorcoach driver on a day trip, when her job consists of delivering commentary, giving outstanding customer service, conducting walking tours, doing all the behind the scenes work that tour guides do and, the drivers’ job is that he drives, does not handle baggage, and is courteous and respectful to the passengers, as well as to the tour guide? My thought is that if the passengers leave the tour guide tips, then they are hers. Same for the driver. However, if the passengers do not tip the driver, I will usually offer him 40% of my tips (the tour guide.) The concern of so many drivers is that they make only minimum wage and so, the tour guide should help him out with 1/2 of her tip intake and that they performed just as much work as she did to earn that tip. My argument is that if they want to make more money, they should find a higher paying job, and that it is not my obligation to pay “bus dr! iver support.” Thank you for your advice and counsel, so that this matter may be resolved.