Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Register Register Member List Member List  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Tipping.org Forums * Tipping Forum * Archive through August 21, 2006 * 10 signs of a bad tipper... < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

byron
Username: byron

Post Number: 32

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Bad tippers are all around us, they could be anywhere and anyone. Here are the 10 most common signs to identify them:

10. orders a well done steak and uses ketchup as a steak sauce

9. tips you a buck before you even take the order

8. continues to praise you on what a good waiter you are (verbal tip)

7. orders a draft beer and drinks it with a straw

6. a couple wants to split a dinner salad and one beverage

5. brings his/her own food into the restaurant and orders a side dish

4. a full grown man wants to order off of the kids menu

3. orders water with like a thousand lemons, plus they use up every sugar packet (just order lemonade please!!!)

2. gets irate because he/she can't order the free bread as their entree

1. upon finishing the meal he/she says "hey, I don't believe in tipping"

tipqueen
Intermediate Member
Username: tipqueen

Post Number: 266

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post

chuckle chuckle

...isn't it SAD that there are people really like this!! ( I've had them all except for #1, but I know they are out there too!! Heck they are on here!!)

lords_of_acid
Advanced Member
Username: lords_of_acid

Post Number: 733

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Print Post

byron
"10. orders a well done steak and uses ketchup as a steak sauce."

This one I have to DISAGREE with. I don't like ketchup, but, some people MIGHT like it with things that normally don't go with something. I am a picky eater. For instance, I think it taste good to eat burger king's hash browns with strawberry preserves. Most people eat that with kethchup or by itself. My point is, just because it's "WEIRD" or out of the "NORM" DOESN'T have *ANYTHING* to do if the person is a good tipper or not. The person may just like the taste better with ketchup, which I don't see ANYTHING wrong with that and I don't see what the hell that has to do with tipping? People like weird things. They had a guy that went to the college I went to in 1996 that liked mustard with his sausage biscuit. I thought that was pretty gross myself, but people like DIFFERENT things. My point is, people like different things, so don't go off of that, that they will tip poorly, because that doesn't mean a thing.

"7. orders a draft beer and drinks it with a straw."

That's kind of strange, but I don't see what this has to do with tipping either. The way we eat or drink something has NOTHING to do with how we tip!

tipqueen
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 270

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Lords,
IF you were a server, you'd understand..... its not really what they are doing it is who does it.... (boy that could really open up another can of worms..... now we'll get all racial and political again, and once again something funny will be ruined!)

and I must say #10 is more like..... when they order shoe leather and try to make it taste good with ketchup.... but hey if thats how ya like it, go for it!

"The way we eat or drink something has NOTHING to do with how we tip"... oh yes Lords it does, it really does... again, if you were a server you'd understand!

teleburst
Username: teleburst

Post Number: 1116

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Print Post

""7. orders a draft beer and drinks it with a straw."

That's kind of strange, but I don't see what this has to do with tipping either. The way we eat or drink something has NOTHING to do with how we tip"!

Yeah, and I've NEVER seen anyone ask for a thousand lemons. That would take like just about an hour just to cut enough for that one person!

<snigger>

lords_of_acid
Advanced Member

Post Number: 734

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Print Post

teleburst
"Yeah, and I've NEVER seen anyone ask for a thousand lemons. That would take like just about an hour just to cut enough for that one person!"

That's NOT the same thing. For one thing, the person may be asking for *1* straw, so that's NOT ANYWHERE *NEAR* COMPARABLE to the cheap person that wants lots of lemons so they don't have to pay for lemonade. You can probably charge people for lemons if they ask for enough of them, but I've NEVER heard of any place charging you for *1* straw. It also takes a moment to get a straw, which it would take a MUCH LONGER time to cut lemons.

teleburst
Username: teleburst

Post Number: 1117

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Print Post

"teleburst
"Yeah, and I've NEVER seen anyone ask for a thousand lemons. That would take like just about an hour just to cut enough for that one person!"

That's NOT the same thing. For one thing, the person may be asking for *1* straw, so that's NOT ANYWHERE *NEAR* COMPARABLE to the cheap person that wants lots of lemons so they don't have to pay for lemonade. You can probably charge people for lemons if they ask for enough of them, but I've NEVER heard of any place charging you for *1* straw. It also takes a moment to get a straw, which it would take a MUCH LONGER time to cut lemons".

Once again, you missed the whole point of my post. My <snigger> was directed at YOU, who has no sense of the ironic and who takes everything SO literally that her head virtually EXPLODES.

This was a commentary on habits more than a literal list of people who don't tip. And a lot of it was tongue-in-cheek, but you have constantly shown yourself to be incapable of discerning irony or sarcasm when it's intended.

BTW, the straw has nothing to do with "buying a straw". It has to do with the myth that you can get drunk quicker drinking beer through a straw. Oh yeah, and the fact that you just don't do that because it's sort of stupid.

Oh yeah, *my* reply was also sarcastic and has nothing to do with "reality" or a "defense" of the original post.

rev_rund
Username: rev_rund

Post Number: 185

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I thought I'd add a few of my favorite quotes that guarantee no tip. In no particular order:

10. Whaddya mean you don't have beer in a can?
9. Whaddya mean I can't use a beer glass for a spitter?
8. Are you guys showing the wrestling pay-per-view?
7. Pour me a "Strong" Island iced tea
6. What's the cheapest thing you got draft?
5. Hi! Were from Denver, how far is it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame? (guaranteed no tip)
4. Hook me up I'll make it worth your while!
3. Can we split a shot?
2. Do I get a free shot because it was my birthday last April?
1. Hi my name is Lords, I'll have white russian

vozveratu
Advanced Member
Username: vozveratu

Post Number: 800

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Lords, read the dictionary more often:

Sarcasm:
1: A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2: A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
3: The use of sarcasm.

byron

Post Number: 33

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I think all current servers or anyone who has ever waited tables can comprehend the gist of my list. I use it as a topic of discussion in my server seminars. Lords, this was not an attempt to challenge one's eating habits or rituals, I am truly sorry if #10 bites you. Good list Rev!

bistroy
Username: bistroy

Post Number: 97

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Print Post

""10. orders a well done steak and uses ketchup as a steak sauce."

This one I have to DISAGREE with."

And this is one thing that I have to AGREE with. The fact that you are a bad tipper and a moron.

Go away.

penelopemarie
Username: penelopemarie

Post Number: 87

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Print Post

* they ask if th+e refill is free
* everybody order from the kid's menu and they are all over 30
* they split one entry between 4
* they want that steak extra extra well done
* when they eat everything and when the bill comes then they star complaining
* when they complain about everything from the table to the salt to your pants
* when they tell you i'll take care of you (wink)
* when they ask if you have any specials, early birds, senior citizen discounts, and/or anything free for b-days
* when the table adds up to like 175 years combined, there is every kind of walker available in the market, and they want everything without sauce and seasoning
* when they demand a spanish speaking server and they can't understand that there isn't one in the restaurant
* when they pull the i know the owner card in order to get free stuff
* when you can't understand anything they are saying except ribs, shrimp, and chicken

vozveratu
Advanced Member

Post Number: 802

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

* I like it when customers smell the cork after opening wine. That alwasys makes me chuckle.
* When customers ask what the numbers mean next to the menu items. Umm, maybe the prices?!
* When customers order the item by the number instead of the name. "Can I have the 36?" That would be the price, sir.
* When customers ask us if the bread is free.
* When customers ask what the price of the feature is.
* Modifications to the menu; This on the side, 86 this, 86 that, add that, grill instead of pan sear, ie BurgerKingStyle.
* When the host gets the bill and his/her eyes get wide.

admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 34

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

These were very funny... keep em coming :-)

tipqueen
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 276

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post

1.They order a red wine called "mer-LOT" along with a steak called "fi-LET"
2.They ask which way to the soup bar and is it free refills (soup bar HUH??)
3.They lst you know it's XYZ's B-day and ask if the whole meal will be free!
4. They order the New York Strip and when the steak arrives, they get upset thinking they ordered a stripper from New York!
5.They don't understand "no shirt, no shoes, no service!"
6.They ask what "ala carte" is and does it taste good!
7.They expect not only the salad and side to be inculded in the price, but as well as the coffee and dessert.
8.Eats the WHOLE meal, and then says it didn't taste good!!
9. asks for the all you can eat "buf-FET"
10. Wont come back because they thought they were in the "kids eat free" restaurant, and wanted to order of the kids menu!!

rev_rund

Post Number: 188

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A few more;

1. People who ask what flavors of box wine we carry
2. People who need to be reminded that the brass railing is not a brass pole (you cannot believe the indignities my poor brass rail suffers evertime an AC/DC song kicks on.
3. People who ask if they can bring their dog in.
4. People who compare the price of bar liquor to gas station liquor ("$4.50 a shot? Hell I can buy a whole bottle of Popov for 6 bucks!")
5. People who consider shirt sleeves an accessory.
6. People who believe buying a double shot deserves a price break.
7. Anyone who addresses me as 'bro, bra, or the dreaded "My Man"
8. Anyone wearing sorrority or fraternity clothing
9. Anyone who asks whats on special at 11 o'clock on a Friday night
10. People who try to buy 15 beers at the happy hour price and then have me hold them till they are ready.
- True Story; A guy ordered 5 beers off of me at the happy hour half off price 2 minutes before happy hour ended. We go through the legal schpeil about I can't serve more than 2 drinks to a person. He says he's got buddies coming, I pour the beers. He then turns around and trys to sell his beers at a price between the happy hour price and regular price. The true joy was not when I told him he couldn't do this. It was when I took 4 of his beers away, and gave him his money back. He demanded he get the full price reimbursed even though he only paid happy hour price. At that point he lost his remaining beer, got no money and had to go. Needless to say, - no tip.

jammie
Username: jammie

Post Number: 1269

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I like one of my old customers who would call ahead if he was not going to make it before the bewitching hour of 7:00pm. Happy hour was over at 7. He would request to have his bucket of beer rang in at the happy our price. Now thats cheap. If you cant be there before happy hour ends you miss out on the special price. Right?
Then there was Ernie, instead of buying his friend a beer, he would trade one of his buds for a Michelob. The Michelob was a whole quarter more than Bud. They all bought buckets at the reduced price. Also instead of buying one beer at a time, if they only wanted one or two they would purchase the entire bucket and have us "owe" them.
I always liked the I can buy a whole bottle for the price of two drinks. Wow the owner is making a serious profit. O.K. Mr. Mathematician, did you figure the rent? Did you add in the insurance premiums? The overhead?

byron

Post Number: 36

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Excellent posts guys, this is the kind of fun and lighthearted spirit I like to see in here!!

conkorogue
Username: conkorogue

Post Number: 20

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Things I have noticed and experienced over the years:
1. The more well done the steak, the worse the tip. Anything above medium = bye bye, tip.
2. People who will put ketchup on anything (including *ack!* broiled flounder and mashed "taters") are also not likely to tip.
3. The more ranch dressing requested, the lower the tip.
4. The more items said ranch placed on, oh just forget about paying that gas bill.
5. When the words, "We'd better not get that. We're saving money for the Kid Rock concert." escape from your table's mouths (in this case, meth mouths... and I think they were around 40), just go ahead and consider yourself a victim.
6. Any time the words "them's" or "they's" are said, refer to above.
7. Sometimes, tables will surprise you with a miracle- one of my most obnoxious tables ever (loud, constant, big haired cell phone talker) and one of my messiest, and constant verbal tip giving tables (family of four, two small kids... looked like a clown exploded under the table), were also my two best tips. $57 on $63 ticket, and $75 on $84 ticket, respectively. They can annoy/make a mess for me ANY time they want.

and now, my favorite mispronunciations:
Fa-jeye-ta (Fajita)
Groper (grouper)
Taleepidia, tay-lay-pie-a, tay-lay-pee-a (talapia)
srimp, skrimp (shrimp... come on! respect the "H", people!)
NY Stripper Steak (you can figure it out)
Fangers (fingers... yikes)
Wrench (Ranch)
Blaslami (Balsamic)

OH YEAH... and the kiss of death phrase:

Is the tip included?

lords_of_acid
Advanced Member

Post Number: 735

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

conkorogue
"3. The more ranch dressing requested, the lower the tip."

As long as they bring the ranch before or with my meal, the server will get a good tip, depending on the rest of the service of course. Obviously, if they do poorly with the rest of the service, then what do they expect? It won't be a very high tip or a tip possibly if they do really badly.

If the same server takes me my food, but *FORGETS* the ranch and doesn't apologize, well, what do you expect 15%? NO, because that's AVERAGE service and that's BELOW AVERAGE service. I give in that case 12%. If I get an apology and they get it RIGHT AWAY, I give them 15%-16%. It PAYS to be NICE and CARING, LITERALLY! I had a waitress at a bar and grill(NOT chili's or applebee's) that told me "I'm SO SORRY" when she forgot my ranch. She got 20% anyway, for being SO VERY NICE. It MAKES a DIFFERENCE when the server adds the "SO" and they get it RIGHT AWAY. It TRULY made me feel like she actually did "CARE" about me not having my ranch. If she would have just said "Sorry", but gotten it right away, about 17%. BE NICE and I'LL BE NICE BACK IN THE TIP!

So ordering a lot of ranches DOESN'T mean ANYTHING, unless you forget them.

rev_rund

Post Number: 190

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

If you ignore it, it will go away

jammie
Username: jammie

Post Number: 1273

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah *CARING* blahblahblahblahblah *SELFISH* blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah *FORGETS* Blahblahblahblahblahblah.
Whats that lords did you say something?

vitalryan
Username: vitalryan

Post Number: 74

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Print Post

--- Has more bling than a jewelry store
--- When they ask if the bread is free - or if the refills are free, or anything else for that matter.
--- When black people spend a LOT of money on a dinner for two.
--- When a group of 5 white ladies sits down and shares 2 sandwhiches and says "if we are still hungry, we'll order more" which you know they never do, they just don't want to be embarrassed for being cheap.
--- When a spanish guy is rude no matter how nice you are, 10% or less every time.
--- When a customer wants to have their 2 remainging mangled pieces of free bread packed togo.
--- When the customer goes their entire experience and only looks up at you one time.
--- Well done anything - the less its cooked, the higher the tip. Except for rare, they don't tip crap either for some reason.
--- When the customer asks for the bill to check the total before ordering dessert (their dessert will be paid for by YOUR tip).
---
--- And my #1 sign for a crappy tipper - when they speak very little english or have a european accent. You cringe and start crying inside.

God, these are all REAL examples from a week at my restaurant, lol... I could go on forever.

diner_1923
Username: diner_1923

Post Number: 128

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Print Post

--- When a group of 5 white ladies sits down and shares 2 sandwhiches and says "if we are still hungry, we'll order more" which you know they never do, they just don't want to be embarrassed for being cheap.

***WHY SHOULD THEY ORDER MORE FOOD THEN THEY WANT TO EAT? HOW ARE THEY BEING CHEAP? IT SEEMS THEY JUST ARENT WASTING ANYTHING

tipqueen
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 282

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Diner,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
seeing as many threads which could be good discussions are degenerating into flame wars, i think we might want to try an experiment.

i think that we should try to keep all flaming in this thread- even if something pisses you off on another, if you are going to flame simply post in this thread so that you dont disrupt the discussion

NOW GO TO YOUR CORNER!!! ITS CALLED "FAMING THREAD"... you should know you started it!!!!

YOU ARE SUCH A HYPOCRIT SAYING YOU ARE TRYING TO BE NICE ON HERE!!! MY ASS YOU ARE!!!!

diner_1923

Post Number: 129

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Print Post

? im not flaming. please go away.

vozveratu
Advanced Member

Post Number: 809

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Well Diner, without bashing and flaming, this is why it sucks to wait on five ladies who are sharing 2 sandwiches.

PPA - Per Person Average. A Term used by restaurants that state how much is sold to a table by dividing the price of the bill by the number of guests. ie; 100.00 bill for 4 people equals 25.00 PPA.

5 (old ladies)
2 (sandwiches at 5.00 each)

10.00 / 5 = 2.00 PPA. That sucks.

What a waiter wants to do is make the PPA as high as they can get it so the % of the bill for tip is higher.

15% of 25.00 PPA = 3.75 tip per person average.
15% of 2.00 PPA = .30 tip per person average.

So in both cases I'm getting an average tip of 15%, but 15% of crap is still crap.

Having a group of old ladies tying up your table with very little to buy hurts the server's pocket.

Just an FYI.

tipqueen
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 284

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Print Post

please go away

NO... YOU GO AWAY!!

(if we did a tribal council on who should go away first, and the reasons why... I'm thinking....YOU'D BE VOTED OFF THE ISLAND FIRST!!!)

diner_1923

Post Number: 131

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Print Post

vozveratu obviously you wont make as much but arent they entitled to buy what they want? you are calling them cheap here but maybe your restaurant serves portions which are too big and these ladies want to share them for that reason- they arent being cheap here and while its noted that you arent making as much money as you would normally the fault isnt that of the ladies being cheap, its that the restaurant serves more than they would eat alone. take cheesecake factory for instance, i'll often go there and split a meal with my girlfriend because their portions are so ridiculously massive (that their executives often prompt people to take the rest home with them) so instead of taking it home we simply split the meal. its not an issue of being cheap- its an issue of being practical and not letting food become disgusting and moldy in the fridge.

vozveratu
Advanced Member

Post Number: 810

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Print Post

But your failing to understand what the restaurant wants. Each seat brings in an amount of money to the restaurant. If each seat is bringing, on average only 2.00 per person, the restaurant is not going to make enough to pay labor of the kitchen, bills and lease.

Management WANTS us to sell alot. When a manager sees tables buying apps for entrees and tea for beverage, they see pennies on the dollar regarding profit.

If the manager sees big eaters and drinkers, they see dimes on the dollar regarding profit.

Yeah, restaurants don't want to force the food onto a customer, but just like any business, it's there to make money.

This is also the second reason why management likes the customers to pay with tips rather than management paying salary. If I'm a lazy waiter with five women eating two sandwiches, what does it do for me to try and force sales or turn the table? Easy night and I'm getting paid per hour anyway. Guess who loses? The business.

(Message edited by vozveratu on August 11, 2006)

diner_1923

Post Number: 132

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Print Post

im not arguing that the restaurant is not going to make money im just arguing against your assertion that these people are cheap and the bias you hold against them- i think your distaste against them is misplaced.

vozveratu
Advanced Member

Post Number: 811

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Print Post

*shrug*

What should my assertion be?

vitalryan

Post Number: 75

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Print Post

diner,
You should have read the post a little more clearly - they ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS try and act funny about it - it's the WAY they order. They know they are being cheap, they know they are a pain in the ass and not wanted, so they specifically ALWAYS say "...and we'll probably order more if we are still hungry" when they KNOW they won't be ordering more. Hence, they hand you all their menu's. And they always say they will be having dessert too. Then when you come back, "wow, your portions are so big, i'm so full, we'll have dessert NEXT time" but then they come in and do the same thing over and over. It happens EVERY time.

They ARE cheap. They don't get any real drinks, just waters with lemon, or MAYBE a soda or iced tea. And they order the cheapest stuff on the menu and share, and sit there forever when they get the food.

To these people it's like a cheap social gathering, there's a LOT more to this job than you care to understand. People are pretty cut and dry, you can lump nearly everyone into one group or another.

At lunch time, I'll have at LEAST 5 tables a day do this exact same thing, it's almost laughable.

Yes, they ARE cheap, and they always make sure to tip 15% on the DOT. If you sit with 5 people and share 2 sandwhiches, you need to tip more to make up for the fact that you aren't spending any money and wasting your servers time.

diner_1923

Post Number: 133

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

To these people it's like a cheap social gathering, there's a LOT more to this job than you care to understand. People are pretty cut and dry, you can lump nearly everyone into one group or another.

its pretty interesting i never thought id hear that assertion from anyone on these boards

conkorogue
Username: conkorogue

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

diner? lords? I have one thing to say... :
Wha-wha-what??!!
I'd just love for one of you to understand something... anything. Please? here, calm down and have some ranch.
And now for the rest of you, more bad signs:
-5 packs of sweet n low in sweetened tea... probably means they're aliens, too.
-more material in their tank top than their shorts, and their heels are too high for even Barbie
-they just came from church and they make sure you know it, you godless heathen.
-they've brought their own bottle of water/soda - the same kind your restaurant sells.
-they want the whole shebang wine presentation as they place the paper napkin on the table beside them.
-they leave one bite of their steak and tell you it wasn't cooked right or that it was too tough to eat
-when you ask if they'd like a chilled glass with their bottled beer, they ask, "how much does that cost?"

And I just find it generally amusing when you tell them that the plate is really hot and the first thing they do is touch it.

nattie
Username: nattie

Post Number: 20

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Print Post

How much is this pepsi?
If you have to ask then you shouldn't be out to eat!

vitalryan

Post Number: 77

Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Print Post

-- They make a comment after eating their entire dish such as "well, there was too much salt on it" hoping you'll just comp it off.
-- They order a salad with extra bleu cheese crumbles, no vinagrette, sub bleu cheese dressing, then as for more bleu cheese on the side when you check back and ask how everything was... then complain at the end of the meal that there is too much bleu cheese on the salad, and then complain that the manager didn't comp the salad, mind you they ate 3/4 of a HUGE salad. (this actually happened the other day, lol)

hacinta
Username: hacinta

Post Number: 1274

Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Ryan, when that happens to me I say something like, " Aw thats awful, I wish you would have let me know after the first few bites. There is nothing I can do after you have eaten most of it, next time let me know right away."
How bad can a meal be if it is 3/4 eaten?
Formerly Jammie

vitalryan

Post Number: 78

Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

BUT, it's CCF, it just doesn't work that way, I can't tell them that.

deut6v4
Username: deut6v4

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Just wanted to chime in regarding the lemon thing... I order water with extra lemon because I like it, not because I'm cheap. (I also don't use a bunch of sugar, just the lemons.) I tip 20% of my bill as a standard. I tip 15% for bad service, and 10% for absolutely abysmal service. I know that some servers don't treat me as well because my husband and I order water, but as long as the service is still good, I still tip 20%. I do wish, though, that servers wouldn't assume that they are not going to get a good tip just because I prefer to drink water with my meals. BTW, I wouldn't mind paying for my lemons either, if necessary.

hacinta
Username: hacinta

Post Number: 1281

Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

yeah deut, we have gone over that before. Some servers do think that just becaUSE a couple orders water and lemon that they are cheap, some are and some are not. I give people a chance, and feel that is not a sure indicator. Many people do, for health reasons or whatever. I dont mind when people order water, unless they dont drink it, then that pisses me off.
Formerly Jammie

byron

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

deut,you sound like an ideal patron...15% for bad service is very generous. (Response to #3 on my list)The implication is not that guests who order water with lemon are cheap. I am merely noting that patrons who deliberately attempt to make their own lemonade at the table, often aren't great tippers.

vozveratu
Advanced Member

Post Number: 819

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Plus, let's understand that it's not just the tip a server is striving to get. A server has two goals:

1: A good tip, by providing great service.
2: High sales, by suggesting wines, apps, desserts, etc.

Your water order is not impacting the tip, but it is impacting the sales portion.

Low sales = lower amount of the tip. Percentage can be 20% tip, but 20% of a 20.00 check is only 4.00.

While the other table ordering a bottle of Champaign and eating big, the check can be as big as 300.00. 20% of 300.00 is 60.00.

Hmmm, do I want to make 60.00 or 4.00? No hard feelings, though. We want to make your experience a good one because next time you may come back and order wine, or word of mouth to your friends will bring additional business. That's why we treat everyone as an important guest, even if your bill is only 20.00... :P

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration