Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Register Register Member List Member List  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Tipping.org Forums * Tipping Forum * Archive through July 20, 2006 * Do you tip workers in your home? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

echo
Username: echo

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi ~ We're having a carpet cleaning business come into our home this afternoon to clean our carpets and furniture. Are we supposed to tip them? What would you do? Tip? No tip? We have no idea on the proper way to handle this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

jammie
Username: jammie

Post Number: 1159

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

echo, nice of you to be concerned. I am not one to discourage tipping, however..... The carpet cleaner people get paid on an entirely different pay scale then servers, bartender etc. I dont think it necessary to tip a carpet cleaner. Now if you have found that did an exceptional job or gone above and beyond then have at it. Nothing says thank you like cash.
I've told this story before so I'll make it quick. I had someone in to stretch and reattach my carpet. The owner was there and his helper was actually doing all the work. There was a little more work that needed to be done there was no additional charge. So I tipped the guy who was doing the work. Otherwise I wouldn't have tipped.I know I'm getting ready to get blasted by certain posters (diner). For being a hypocrite, but let me tell you if I made $120.00 for 15 minutes worth of work I wouldn't expect to be tipped either. I moved all the furniture off and on the carpet myself.

echo
Username: echo

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks so much, Jammie. My husband and I are believers in rewarding good service/work. When we go out to eat we tip between 20-25%, but were really unsure about in home service workers.

I think I will tip them. Giving someone a smile, a sincere thank you and a small gratuity isn't much to give.

Thanks again !!
Echo

oshma
Username: oshma

Post Number: 18

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hm. I tip $100 at Christmas for a once-a-month cleaner, ditto for my super.

For anything else, $10-$20 per service (dragging out a piece of furniture, replacing a broken light fixture, etc).

eeyore_conspiracy
Username: eeyore_conspiracy

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I wouldn't tip them.

vitalryan
Username: vitalryan

Post Number: 42

Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I'm not too big on tipping people dropping something off. But it all depends. If they go above and beyond what is required, $5 or $10 is often a nice gesture. For extended stays, it's not uncommon to order a pizza or a sub and buy them lunch, (movers that are there all day)... But when I had my TV dropped off, the put it down, plugged it in, no tip.

If the workers do a little extra that is obviously going above and beyond, again, have at it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration