Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Register Register Member List Member List  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Tipping.org Forums * Tipping Forum * Archive through May 28, 2006 * Hibachi and sushi restaurant..severs have to split tips with Habachi cheifs and Sushi cheifs 50/50 not right.. they get paid higher wages ro < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ladyvalea1
Username: ladyvalea1

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I work at a Hibachi and Sushi restaurant. the severs pool the tips..but at the end of the night we "have" to give half to the hibachi cheifs and the sushi bar cheifs give us half of their tips that they receive in Jars above the sushi netta case... I understand, the Hibachi cooks are entertaining the customers with there knife and fork throwing skills and the Sushi chiefs and making beautiful sushi infront of customers at the sushi bar...But the Food severs are only getting paid $3.00 and they get higher wages...but we have to share...Its different in other American style restaurants..where the cooks are in the back..out of site of the customers...What do you all think???

jammie
Username: jammie

Post Number: 1186

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I think it sucks ! You should make the same wage as the chefs, or they should be making the same wage as you.

vozveratu
Username: vozveratu

Post Number: 611

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hmmm, that's a tough one. You've got chefs with skills entertaining the guests and pulling in some tips, while the waitstaff serves the guests.

Was this tipping procedure in place before or after you started working there.

If it's before you started working there, sorry to say, but suck it up or look for another job. When hired, you agree to the terms of the employer. Working weekends, days, nights, tip outs, etc.

If it was changed after, then the waitstaff can discuss this with management. If management doesn't bend or change, then they should be aware that they may have some turnover due to the choice they have made on paying their chefs with tips that the servers make.

One of the questions the manager will ask: Easier to get a new server or easier to get a new chef?

You tell me what he/she would probably say.

jammie

Post Number: 1189

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Print Post

The chefs do help to pull in the tips becasue of the entertainment, I do think that there should be a certain percentage going to the chefs. But 50% is a little steep, especially since the servers make servers wages. The tips are their income. One thing to consider is how much do you make after your large tip out? Of course it is not the same every night, but is it still a decent amount? If not I would look around.
Seems management as well as "non tipped " employees are all under the impression that us tipped employees rake it in hand over fist. Maybe sometimes we do, but we also dont get a paycheck thats it our tips.

vozveratu

Post Number: 612

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Well, I do have to admit that the money we make as servers, if working full time, is equal to that of our chef for the restaurant. This kind of surprises me because I would think that the management of our restaurant would take care of the chef.

However, chef's money is consistant while some days, or weeks, the servers make a little money due to it being slow or overstaffed.

It all depends on the pricing, service, food quality and tipping procedures. Ours is quite favored toward the server side compared to places I know in our city.

vitalryan
Username: vitalryan

Post Number: 24

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Have you guys ever actually been to an hibachi style restaurant...

The chefs sit there and entertain and the servers are quiet and in the backround, simply bussing the table and dropping off drinks. Seems reasonable to me.

If you aren't making enough money there, however, go somewhere else.

tricky
Username: tricky

Post Number: 157

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I was going to say exactly what Ryan said.

Because the hibachi cooks do more than the servers for the guest and are required to have at least one more specialized skill than the server, AND guest contact, I'm perfectly comfortable with them making more money than the servers.

Since the hibachi cook does at least as much work entertaining / serving the guests as the server an even split seems at least fair to the server.

vozveratu

Post Number: 617

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Tricky makes a good point as others have. The reason tips are being collected is by the entertainment of the hibachi cooks. Servers are doing the maintenance stuff. So splitting the tips sounds good to me.

jammie

Post Number: 1191

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

It has been several years since I have been to a Japanese steak house, but you are right. I retract my last statement.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration