Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Register Register Member List Member List  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Tipping.org Forums * Tipping Forum * Archive through May 28, 2006 * Tipping the baggage handler < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

snapdragon
Username: snapdragon

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I always use curbside checkin when I fly- usually have 2 bags and tip $5. Sometimes they seem surprised. My dad taught me to do this years ago and I've never questioned it. Makes sense to me- this guy could be the difference between my bag getting on the plane on time or not if I'm running late. Besides it's just a nice thing to do. I've never had a bag lost, destroyed, or on the wrong plane- wonder if there's a connection?

jammie
Username: jammie

Post Number: 1164

Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Snap, most of the time the company that handles your bags doesn't even work for the airline, they are sub contractors. Once it leaves curbside they have no control over your bag. Aramark handles the bags for Delta where I work. Superior handles the bags for Jet Blue. They log it into the computer and put it on the belt where it dissapears into the bowels of the airport. Hopefully to be seen again.
People dont realize that these porters make a servers wage, and rely on tips.
Snap that is the decent thing to do. Keep up the good karma.

vitalryan
Username: vitalryan

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I read somewhere that these are also one of the top most overpaid professions in the country. The porters were making upwards of 6 figures.

===============================================
7) Airport skycaps
Many of the uniformed baggage handlers who check in luggage at curbside pull in more than $100,000 a year -- most of it in cash.

On top of their $30,000 to $40,000 salaries, peak earners take in $300 or more a day in tips. Sound implausible? That amounts to a $2 tip from 18 travelers an hour on average. Many tip more than that.

While most skycaps are cordial, a good many treat customers with blank indifference, knowing harried travelers don't want to brave counter check-ins, especially in the post 9/11 age. Their work is more mindless than that of a McDonald's counter clerk, who at least has to bag the order correctly.
=======================================

vozveratu
Username: vozveratu

Post Number: 618

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Wow, really? Is this for real? I'm getting a new job.

jammie
Username: jammie

Post Number: 1190

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Well guys since I know a lot of the skycaps I will ask. I'm off today and tommorow so it may take a few days.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration