Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Register Register Member List Member List  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Tipping.org Forums * Tipping Forum * Archive through February 28, 2006 * My Black people, We've got to do better!!!!!!!!! < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

steadyservin
Username: steadyservin

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I am a black woman. I am proud of my heritage. But,black people of mine have you ever wondered why alot of times we get bad service? As a server, (and a damn good one), I'll list some of the main reasons why. 1.We are notorious for leaving god awful tips. We'll run our server to death and tip her three bucks on a 50 dollar bill. Then we have the nerve to say "you a good waitress". I use "we" in that black love way. My mom served for years so I always understood the concept of tipping. 2. Our grammar. Believe it or not but the way we speak sometimes lead others to believe that we don't get out much and aren't used to dining out regularly. 3. Our attitudes. We tend to treat the person waiting on us as if we are better than them. Especially those of us who landed a corporate job. We must not look down our nose at someone just because of the job they do. 4. As an attractive black woman, i am sometimes snubbed by another female because her man looked at me in my eye to answer a question about his meal. Don't be ignorant! It is my job to make sure you get what you wanted, I am susposed to be friendly. My black people, lets wake up and do what's right. If you were well taken care of, take care of your server.

linda
Username: linda

Post Number: 261

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Print Post

steadyservin,

From your perspective WHY do you think that black guests do not tip appropriately?

Also, do black guests treat you (a black server) the same as a non-black server?

steadyservin

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Linda, my girl, I dont know why. There are a few black people that do get it. Most of them I know are former or current servers. When I bring the subject up to my "homies", I get " why do I have to pay them when the company does?" or"2 dollars is all I tip". I know thats ridiculus especially when I explain the concept to people I know and I get " well I didnt make them become a server". So I cant definitively say why most black people dont tip well if not at all. But i can say that I have had loud, rude , ghetto black guest that treated me like poo. And I've had sweet, decent, civilized black guests that still tipped 10% or less. That's why I say Black people, we've got to do better!!!!

coorslite
Username: coorslite

Post Number: 208

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Honey there are all walks of life. I am working at a restaurant that just opened about 6 months ago. My goal is to get the "black" crowd in on Sundays. I don't care what color you are... your money is green. I love it when I have black guests. Because I work at an Italian restaurant with great food I know they are going to love it. At one of the restaurants that I worked at when I first moved to the south, one of the cooks (Who was black) pulled me to the side and said... "Black folks... extra napkins, extra lemons, always bring straws, extra dressing, treat the women like queens!" I told him thank you and I make so much money off any black table that came in! BUT there were the exceptions... but those were in many different colors. I also worked with a girl that was a beautiful black woman and she refused to wait on black women. She always said that she had an "attitude table" and would not even go to the table because she knew that they wouldn't tip her. She was an amazing server and really if she did wait on them she would make no money! Today I had a table of 2 sweet black ladies and a 3 year old child. They were so wonderful. And when the little boy ordered "Kool Aid" I giggled. Brought him sprite with a little Mellow Yellow. He was tickeled over it. The whole bill was less than $16... they scraped up change to make sure they left me $5! Sorry but the only color I see is green! And I've had by far worse luck with "white trash"! I don't know why and can't explain it to you. But I know that there is good and bad in all walks of life. And if you are lucky the worst customer of all (loa) will not respond to this post! Keep doing what you're doing and Karma will take care of the rest. Sorry so long response!

minerva05
Username: minerva05

Post Number: 29

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I'm with coorslight on this one, where I work, the white trash customers are way worse than any non-caucasian customers I've ever had. I will come right out and admit, my family qualifies as white trash. I'm the only university educated member of my family and one of few who cares at all to better myself. My family tips horribly. When I'm out with them, I excuse myself to go to the bathroom and then tip our server privately because they get offended if they see me doing it. If certain family members came to the restaurant where I work I would tell my co-workers to keep and eye on them because they'll dash. Most black people who live here and visit the restaurant are students at the local university and are international students. Many of them come from poorer countries and harsh lives. I've always found them to be extremely polite and tip very well because they, like myself are trying to better themselves.

Is it the difference between african americans and africans or people from the carribean or have I just been lucky in my experiences?

steadyservin

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

YO! I'm just speaking from my experience in my city. I also ststed that I have really good black tables that do get it. But, large majority of my people feel that a tip is just a little extra for an hourly employee. They really dont understand that we depend on them. Futhermore, i hadnt had time to even begin on the "caucasan rubbish" that i have had the pleasure of serving.

jammie
Username: jammie

Post Number: 1040

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Steady, I dont know about the your area, but where I have worked in Conn. and in Southern Florida, there are not many African American servers. I worked in a shoneys that was very close to the "black section" of town and we only had two black servers out of about twenty. I work in an airport now and my company owns all the restaurants in the building, out of about 150 servers I can only think of about 4 black servers. My thought on this is that since not many black females wait tables they and their families have no idea what it is like to rely on tips for a living. My last ex husband had the same mentality you had described, until tips started paying for his food and his mortgage, then he realized the importance of tipping properly. I'm not going to tell how many blacks work in the kitchen.
Minerva, just wanted you to know my family is not a family of college grads either, but they have class. Both mom and dad worked very hard all their adult lives and provided a nice upbringing for us. Now they are retired and are very comfortable, economically they are upper middle class. I think that college is a wonderful way to better yourself, but for those who lack it does not make them trash. Being white trash is kind of like an attitude, unintelligent I would agree.

minerva05
Username: minerva05

Post Number: 30

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I'm not bashing those without an education. I think it's very possible to make a good life for yourself without a post secondary education. I should have also mentioned I'm one of the few who even made it through highschool. This is mainly because I did not get pregnant, become adicted to drugs or go to jail like many other members of my family.

steadyservin

Post Number: 9

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Where did we float off the subject. My intention is to get the knowledge of tipping out there so everyone can benefit. There are vast reasons the some black people and most lower class white people dont understand and dont care. Maybe if more knowledge was available, more people will finally get it.

jammie

Post Number: 1042

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

hey now, thats the idea of a discussion board, we discuss. The conversation goes all kinds of different directions. If you have read the other threads you will see just that.
So how do we get the word out? Coming tipped employees it seems like another scam to get more money.

steadyservin

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hell if I know. I was caught up in the moment. I've thought several times about putting an article in the local paper. But I was afraid of misconstruing the message. I want people to get it, but I dont want to alienate people either.

jammie

Post Number: 1043

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

As long as there are tipped and non-tipped employees I dont think the message will ever be conveyed. I mean really unless you live in a cave its pretty much common knowledge (isn't it?) that 15-20% is the standard tip. But those who refuse to do so, I just dont know how either.

steadyservin

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I guess these fools do live in caves. Tonight, I walked with 75 bucks after tipping out 16 bucks. My sales were $550. I truly stive to give my tables the best service in my power. I rarely have aproblem with my tables that was my bad. Tonight was smooth as silk. But tips like 5 on 86 really makes me wish I hadn't gone that extra mile. But my pride wont let me give a guest bad service. Do you know what I mean? And I had only one Black table, and they got the percentage right and everything. So maybe our occupation is a great big gamble.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration