Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Register Register Member List Member List  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Tipping.org Forums * Tipping Forum * Archive through January 09, 2006 * Salon Owner Tip < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

slw57
Username: slw57

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I have always understood that you do not TIP the owner of a salon, even if that is the person doing your hair, but you do TIP the other staff that serve you. My question is - Do you TIP the owner or is the fact that he/she get's a % of everyone else's enough? Thank you to all who reply.

catmom
Username: catmom

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I always tip the owner mostly because I have a fear of looking "cheap". I just read on another website that tipping the salon owner is "now acceptable". But, hey, if someone tipped me, I'd accept it too. But is it neccessary? I never knew, however, that the owner gets a % of everyone elses. Is that true? How is that fair to the other stylists?

And what about Massage Therapists and Reflexologists? They say you are supposed to tip 10%-20%. The two treatments are so expensive now. I used to tip them. Someone I know who I think has perfect etiquette in everything else she does, does not tip her massage therapists (whether they own the place or not) because they are already paid extremely well. Therefore, I stopped but I feel a little uncomfortable when I leave. Am I/Are we being "cheap"?

Sorry slw57, I was trying to help but probably gave you more questions.

iznakurnozh
Username: iznakurnozh

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Print Post

catmom:
does it REALLY-REALLY-REALLY matter to you whether the service personnel thinks you're looking cheap?..

iloveny
Username: iloveny

Post Number: 77

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

"Hello, I'm iznakurnozh, and I'm a flippin' SNOB! Aren't I snobbish with my nasty nose flung high in the air asking about the lowly 'service personnels' feelings?"
Go to hell, loser. I can tell by your tone that you probably live a very lonely, miserable life. I would feel sorry for you if I didn't get the nagging feeling that you were also a complete moron.
"and yeah...why don't you go ahead and come in on Sunday, too...get a jump on the week, k?"

iloveny

Post Number: 78

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

"Dahling, really, you cannot seriously care what the dreadful SERVICE personnel think of you, can you? I mean, they ARE lower forms of life, after all.... isn't that right, Butler? You ARE a servant, are you not? Blah,blah,blah"

"and yeah...why don't you go ahead and come in on Sunday, too...get a jump on the week, k?"

iznakurnozh
Username: iznakurnozh

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Print Post

iloveny:
nope, I am just out there to eat or get my hair cut, or whatever. Not to impress somebody...

jammie
Username: jammie

Post Number: 608

Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Print Post

iznak, catmom wants to do the right thing. Its not really a matter of what others think. If it were proper for her not to tip then she wouldnt worry about being cheap.

catmom

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanx, jammie. You're right on the money. (No pun intended.)

And, iznak, it does matter to me, especially where I am a repeated customer. I don't want anyone think I am taking their service for granted.

jammie
Username: jammie

Post Number: 611

Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

YW catmom. I understood what you were getting at. It is sometimes confusing as to exactly who we should tip. Really if we were cheap we wouldnt be having services, now would we?

iloveny

Post Number: 79

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Catmom, two things:
1. I love cats
2. You seem like a very well-mannered, classy woman.
Okay, that's about it.

scarlett
Username: scarlett

Post Number: 653

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Catmom, I love cats too. In fact, we just got a new kitten, baby Salem.

A friend made this gif of the real Scarlett when she died in 2002.
Scarlett
~"Imagine if they gave a war and nobody came."~

catmom

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Wow, scarlett, that's really pretty. I'm sorry you lost her. I haven't lost one of my own yet but I dread the day it ever happens. I can't imagine how you felt. Keeping her memory alive must help though.

Thanx everyone for their input. Is it true, though, what slw57 said...that the owner gets a percentage of everyone else's tips? I've never heard of that.

simonpita
Username: simonpita

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Here's my dilemma: I've been getting my hair cut/styled by the same person for 7 or more years. He's worked for a upscale salon and he's always been one of about 10 employees in the shop. I'm probably an average tipper; I've always tipped him about $10 on a $65 job and during holiday time I've given much more. Recently, he's branched out on his own and now has his own shop. Now, it is my PRINCIPLE, and my belief, that you do not tip the owner. But I've found that very few people understand the logic behind the thinking and I, in a sense, am not looking forward to getting my hair cut by this guy and not giving him a tip for the first time in years (it seems awkward.) Part of me thinks that I should clue him in on my thinking (hey, maybe he knows)just to be upfront. Part of me thinks I should just cough up the extra dough and forget about principle.

thegirl
Username: thegirl

Post Number: 42

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 01:34 am:   Edit Post Print Post

If he's just branched out, he's hurting for cash. If you'd like to keep him, tip him for at least the first year as it takes that long for most businesses to get off the ground. But explain to him that while you aren't comfortable tipping the owner, you're going to take care of him for awhile to help him get going.

He'll appreciate it, and the key to whatever you decide to do is communication between you two. Talk it over.

Good Luck!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration