Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Register Register Member List Member List  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Tipping.org Forums * Tipping Forum * Archive through January 09, 2006 * Busser at Outback Steakhouse < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

zmn006
Username: zmn006

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I current work as a busser at Outback. The busser and I hate how we work our asses off and the hostess get paid the exact same as us and they do nothing. the host and bussers get paid 2.125 and hour plus tips. There are always way too many host and they take up alot of the tipshare where there are only 2-3 bussers who constantly work hard. Another isssue we have is they require us to catch up dish when we open from the food prepers. While being paid 2.125 is this fair?

jammie
Username: jammie

Post Number: 263

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Zmn006, I have often thought that too. That you bussers are in constant motion, and working very hard and the hostess,well isnt working quite as hard.This is all for an equal share of the tip. I guess its not really fair. If it wernt for you bussers the wait person wouldnt be able to turn the table as quickly.When there is no more people to seat at the end of the night the hostess goes home and the bussers job is far from over.
Where I work the hostess also assists the wait person in cleaning tables. We are required tip out 1% of our total sales. I usually tip out 2% or more, to the hostess.My support staff is of great value to me.I pre buss as much as I can too, others leave every dish on the table they bring to it. Really that means to me the server hasnt done their job properly.I gauge my tip on those type things when Im the guest.
Okay, enough about my job, I do have a suggestion. Get your other bussers together and get organized. Talk to a manager, present your case to them.Very important you are all profesional, and point out the facts.Dont whine "its not fair." Our tasks include, and go down the list, we leave at this time and the hostess leaves at that time.By getting all bussers toghether you will show that it is not just you that has a problem, this is how all bussers feel.
Hopefully the manager will consider what you are saying and give it merit.Chances are that since it doesnt pertain to the manager they have never even thought of the tip distribution. You know out of sight out of mind.One thing you will achieve is making the manager aware that the ranks are unhappy.
Good luck and get back to us on how things are going.

george
Username: george

Post Number: 348

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

How much in tips do you average? I hate to ask the question but I am interested in knowing how much of your tips your employer is taking as a tip credit. Do you know what your State's minimum wage is? You see, if you did not receive any tips your employer would have to pay you the state minimum wage, however, if your state minimum wage is $5.15 an hour and your employer is only paying you $2.12 an hour that's $3.13 an hour you must receive in tips in order for your employer to take the tip credit on you. I am very curious in finding out exactly what percentage of your tips your employer is crediting to himself.

george

Post Number: 349

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

zmn005, I think the $2.12 an hour your employer is paying you is very unfair. That's why I would like to know exactly how much you average in tips. I don't believe that someone who may be earning only $80.00 in tips a day should be having $25 of them credited to his employer through a tip credit. I believe your employer should be paying you the minimum wage required by your state. Please respond.

teleburst
Username: teleburst

Post Number: 698

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

"zmn005, I think the $2.12 an hour your employer is paying you is very unfair. That's why I would like to know exactly how much you average in tips. I don't believe that someone who may be earning only $80.00 in tips a day should be having $25 of them credited to his employer through a tip credit".

HA HA HA HA! This is someone that you don't think should even be GETTING tipshare, since he or she isn't the one "getting the tip from the customer". Aren't receipts controlling? When did a bus person ever get a "reciept".

george, you're busted!

m_shaw
Username: m_shaw

Post Number: 60

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Actually if money is left on the table when the table needs to be cleaned or bussed , it would have to be the bus boys, if it were intended for a wait person it would have be handed to them , if it is left with the dirty dishes its the busboys. Basically if the customer doesnt specify who they want the tip to go to , who ever gets to it first should keep it. Hey busser , the money on the table is yours , if you feel generous give the wait person 10 to 20 per cent .

scarlett
Username: scarlett

Post Number: 416

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Oh great advise Shaw. Get him fired and possibly charged with theft as well.

That's what happens in reality you know.
~Imagine if they gave a war and nobody came!~

teleburst
Username: teleburst

Post Number: 700

Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 03:21 am:   Edit Post Print Post

"Oh great advise Shaw. Get him fired and possibly charged with theft as well.

That's what happens in reality you know".

Awwww Scarlet, give him a break. He's only used to eating it two types of places - those where you leave change on the table for a tip and in a country club, where you never handle a "receipt" or cash unless you present it directly to someone folded up like oragami (the ole "country club handshake). He wouldn't know what a check presenter is.

jammie
Username: jammie

Post Number: 264

Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Print Post

ZNM006, dont listen to m_shaw. he is so far removed from the restaurant industry, he knows not what he says. It is common knowledge that money left on the table is for the server. You know that too!!
Is your issue with the cut of tips or hourly wage? I do believe that most hostess make min wage. This would add insult to finacial injury.

george

Post Number: 350

Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Teleburst, I have never said the busboys should not recieve a tip share, I said employers should not be allowed to mandate tips shares. As you can see from this busboys tistimony not even the busboys are protected when employers are allowed to determine who should share in tips.

Just think about this, between the busboy, the waiter and the host, the restaurant is saving $3.13 an hour for let's say 7 hours a day, that's $3.13 x 7 X 3 for a total of $65.73 a day going directly into the income stream of the restaurant via savings on payroll expenditures. Why is the customer's tip benefiting the restaurant?

The reason restaurants are fraudulently benefiting from customer's tips is because first off the Senate was misled into passing the tip credit and secondly because employers have been errantly allowed to require tip pooling. I am asking this busboy what his tip income is to establish how much the tip credit along with employer required tip is benefiting the restaurant. I think this is a prime example of what is wrong with the current system that you keep saying is fair. What is fair about businesses reaping many of the financial benefits of the tips presented by our public?

While the courts contend that employer required tip pooling is about fainess to the busboys and host in the industry look at the truth of the situation. The host and busboys are not being included in employer required tip pools for the benefit of the busboys and hosts, they are being included for the benefit of the employer. Can you read?

CFR 531.40
Where an employer is directed by a voluntary assignment or order of his employee to pay a sum for the benefit of the employee to a creditor, donee, or other third party, deduction from wages of the actual sum so paid is not prohibited: Provided, That neither the employer nor any person acting in his behalf or interest, directly or indirectly, derives any profit or benefit from the transaction.

While you state that most waiters have agreed to employer required tip pooling by acceptence of the job, Federal laws require that the employer derive no profit from such transfers. Do you not see how much they are benefiting?

zmn006

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks everyone for the tremendous support and response, Sorry I took awhile to respond. Someone ask me what my average tips are and it really depends on how busy we are. On a weekend im lucky to walk out with 30 dollars in tips while working 6-7 hours. My hourly wage comes above minium wage but just the fact someone who does nothing gets paid the same as me. I hate to bitch but it really isnt fair. Someone also said something about taking tips from the table, I would never do that, servers work hard for their money and deserve every penny on the table. I would never even consider taking their money. But the problems we face are the host taking up the majority of the tipshare. My FOH manager has no problem keeping them on tipshare because hes very sexist. If you dont have and ass and a nice set of tits he doesnt acknowledge you. The hostess also dont realize the longer you are on tipshare the less you get paid per hour for less amount of work. How our tipshare works is they take the money collected from the servers and then take the total number of hours for the tipped employees and divide it to find the hourly wage. Then distribute that according to the number of hours each person worked. I just hate how we always have more host then what is really needed causing everyone to loose money. Ive tried talking to my manager about this and their is nothing they can really do because its a corporate mandate of how the tipshare procedures work. The only way to change it would be to go through corporate. All we really want is a little credit for the work we do and paid for the hard work and effort we put in.

nuvola09
Username: nuvola09

Post Number: 61

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Print Post

"Ive tried talking to my manager about this and their is nothing they can really do because its a corporate mandate of how the tipshare procedures work."

This is, obviously, your biggest problem, and I was going to mention it...but you beat me to it. Working for a place like Outback has many advantages. You probably get very good benefits and stock options and all that stuff, compared to a one-owner restaurant. But, things such as this are litterally nation-wide rules for the company. It's impossible for your manager, even the GM in your district, to do anything.

The only way you could be additionally compensated is if you convinced all the servers to tip you out additional amounts, which really isn't fair because they're not the ones paying you so little per hour.

I'm sorry for this dead-end, but maybe looking for another restaurant (even another corporate one that pays at least min. wage to bussers) is your ultimate solution. And you can give your 2 weeks to Outback, citing this as the reason you chose to leave.

zmn006

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I love working at outback, ive made alot of new friends and I feel it would really be hard to move on. Ive been there for about 7months and I would really like to move on a do bigger and better things withing outback until I graduate and get a "real job" I have friends that a service personel at other major restraunts and they make the same I do. I guess right now im just stuck between a rock and a hard place. I guess I just need to put in extra effort so i can move up and not be the low man on the totem pole.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration